Kiwi baby food – The kiwifruit which is also known as the Chinese gooseberry is a very delicious little fuzzy-skinned fruit that will make an excellent source of vitamin C for your baby.
The Kiwi (short for kiwi fruit) is shaped like an egg and has a very thin brownish fuzzy skin (like the bird it is named after). It has a beautiful emerald green colored juicy flesh and has these tiny cute little edible black seeds.
When Can Kiwi Baby Food Be Introduced To Babies
The Kiwi Fruit can be introduced to babies at 8 -10 months of age. Although the kiwifruit is not on the list of highly allergenic foods, it is always a good idea to err on the side of caution as some babies may be sensitive to it. As always, we recommend that you introduce one new food at a time and that you discuss the introduction of new foods with your baby’s pediatrician.
We love Kiwi fruit, but unfortunately, these little delicious Vitamin C banks are also known to cause food allergies, skin irritation, nappy/diaper rash on some sensitive babies. A rash may even appear around the mouth area.
The Nutritious Kiwifruit
The kiwifruit is an excellent source of Vitamin C. They also contains potassium, iron and vitamin A.
Buying And Storing Your Kiwifruit
You want a healthy looking kiwifruit that is firm but not hard. Ripe kiwis are usually really sweet with a soft, juicy and tasty flesh. If you pick ripe ones, then storing them in the refrigerator is the way to go. Unripe kiwi fruit can be stored at room temperature for a few days and then put in the fridge when ripe.
Kiwi Baby Food Ideas (from 8 months)
Banana And Kiwi Puree
Banana and kiwi make a great combination so if your baby loves Banana then try this puree out.
- 2 Ripe Kiwis
- 1 Ripe Banana
Wash and peel the fruits and puree them together until nice and smooth.
Pear and Kiwi fruit Puree
- 1 kiwi fruit
- 1 Ripe Pear
Wash and peel both the pear and the kiwi fruit. Chop fruits into small cubes and puree until smooth. Serve.
Apple, Banana and Kiwi fruit Delight
- 1 Kiwifruit, peel and chopped into cubes
- One Banana, peeled
- 1 Golden Delicious or any apple of your choice, peeled and cut into cubes
Combine all the fruits in a mixer and puree until smooth. Serve.
Kiwifruit pancakes ( This recipe contains eggs!)
- 1 cup organic plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ripe kiwi fruits, peeled and mashed with the back of a fork
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- Sift the flour into a medium to large bowl and add in the baking powder. In another bowl, beat the egg lightly and combine with the milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a whisk, mix everything thoroughly to a smooth batter.
- Add the mashed kiwi and mix well with a spoon.
- To cook, heat up some oil in a safe chemical-free non-stick heavy-based pan. Pour in about three tablespoonfuls of the batter. Cook for a few minutes, not too long. To check if the underside of the pancake is done, lift slightly on the pancake, if it is lightly golden brown, then you can flip it over. You can also flip the pancake over as soon as the top starts to ‘bubble up.’ The other side should cook quicker than the first side.
Get Exclusive Access To Free Templates!