Zucchini baby food makes a great addition to a baby’s diet. Zucchini (also known as courgette) is a summer squash and is related to cucumbers and even melons. It has a very mild taste and combines very well with most foods. Zucchini may be introduced to babies at 6 months.
The Nutritious Homemade Zucchini Baby Food
Zucchinis are a source of vitamin A, vitamin C, dietary fiber, and potassium.
Selecting and Storing Zucchini
I find the best zucchinis for making homemade baby food to be the ones that are between 6 to 8 inches long. They usually are softer and taste much better than more massive zucchinis. You can use non-organic zucchinis too; they are not on the EWG’s list of the ‘Dirty Dozen.’ Pick zucchinis that have no blemishes, or cuts. You can store uncooked whole zucchini in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just make sure to wash them just before cooking.
Easy Zucchini baby food recipes – Basic Zucchini Puree
To make a basic puree, wash and chop one zucchini. Steam or boil (in as little water as possible) until soft. Mix to a nice puree.
Zucchini and Swede Puree (6 months +)
- 120g Zucchini washed and chopped
- 150g swede, peeled and diced
Put the zucchini and swede pieces in a steamer pot (I use one like this one); steam vegetables until soft. Put in a food processor and puree to a smooth texture.
Zucchini and Carrot Pancakes (10 months +, this recipe contains eggs)
- 100g Zucchini washed and grated
- 1 Carrot washed, peeled and finely grated
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup lactose-free milk
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup plain flour
- Combine zucchini, carrots, egg, and milk in a bowl.
- Fold in the baking powder, whole wheat flour, and the plain flour. Combine carefully to a batter.
- Heat the unsalted butter in a pan over medium heat; Scoop ladlefuls of the batter onto the pan; flip the pancake over as soon as the top starts to bubble.
Zucchini Sauce (8 months +)
- 1 Zucchini washed and diced
- 1 Tbs. diced onion
- 200ml crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbs. Vegetable oil
Heat up oil in a chemical-free pan. Add the onions and the garlic and saute until fragrant; Add zucchini and tomatoes; cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until the zucchini is soft, stirring to make sure the sauce does not stick. Puree the vegetables and serve with rice or small pasta shapes.
Special Fried Rice (for toddlers)
- 60g Zucchini
- 1 Cup cooked rice
- 50g Orange or red bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 Clove of garlic
- 1/2 Small onion, diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbs. Soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. Vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan; Fry egg to a flat omelet, remove from heat and cut up into strips.
- Saute the onion, bell peppers, and garlic stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced zucchini and cook for another 2 minutes and then add the fried egg and stir for about 1-2 minutes.
- And finally, mix in the cooked rice and soy sauce. Serve
Get Exclusive Access To Free Templates!